[Alberg30] Re: Public-list Digest, Vol 169, Issue 1

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Wed Nov 5 11:11:52 PST 2003

I sail on the Great :Lakes - mostly in Grand Traverse Bay - where winds
during summer are usually in the 5-15 range - some days up to 20 and
occasionally in the 15 -25 range. My Genoa is in the 135-140 % range and
I find it quite adequate in these conditions. Sailing in light winds
around 5 or so running down wind calls for the engine or the spinnaker,
but one can reach and beat in this range just fine if not fast in the
low wind ranges. My new Genoa will be a 135 - but mostly because I am
thinking about going to Wisconson and other places that are off-shore
for me. I  also am willing to assume that the new sails will give better
performance at all wind ranges and points of sail  just because they are
new. I still expect downwind at slow wind speeds to be somewhat
problematic. I hope this observation is helpful.

>>> REDDERHS at aol.com 11/05/03 12:22PM >>>
We are in Texas and sail mainly in a lake called Sabine Lake. If you
look at
a map go to where Texas meets Louisiana at the Gulf and you will find
it.
George the winds
are usually 5 to 15 mph. Are you thinking the 135 might not be enough
sail in
light
winds?