[Alberg30] standing rigging, and hatches

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Sun Nov 16 14:48:47 PST 2003

George,
Did you mean 5/8" bolts or 3/8" bolts?
Jay

George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org> wrote:
Most importantly, upgrade to 5/8" bolts for the chainplates (or double
the number of 1/4" ones) if this hasn't been done. Also, make sure the
bolts aren't threaded their entire length, as this weakens the bolt
considerably.

While you're at it, you'll want to check the attachment points to make
sure they're in good condition. Also add backing plates for the
chainplates, or at least use fender washers. Recaulk the chainplates, too.

Check the wire, itself, for cracks and fishhooks. You can wrap a
cottonball around and run it along the wire. It shouldn't catch on
anything.

- George

Matthew Hay wrote:
> I have owned my Alberg for two years and have addressed and fixed many
> of the systems. But I have done nothing (or even really looked at) the
> standing rigging. This year I stepped the mast when I hauled out. What
> problematic signs should I look for in my chain plates or standing
> rigging while I have the mast down? I was thinking, I should
> disassemble and look at the different parts of the stainless rigging and
> chain plates? For all I know it is the original standing rigging.
> Also, has anyone replaced their forward hatch with a manufactured
> hatch? I have been looking at Lewmar and was thinking about using them
> for the forward and lazzerette hatches. If anyone has done this, I
> would be interested in the size and model# that you used, and if you
> used a regular or mid or low profile hatch, and flange or no flange?
> thank you very much,
> Matt #314

When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
I think how evening follows morn; gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
So many I loved were not yet dead, http://www.Alberg30.org
So many I love were not yet born.
'The Middle' by Ogden Nash