[Alberg30] Deck hardware refub

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Mon Nov 17 14:32:19 PST 2003

Bill,

I to am looking into refinishing my bronze (don't forget that 15 pound bow
ram).  I understand that the process is to add layers of chrome (not
stainless steel) and lot's of places do it; many chrome motor cycle parts.
So put on some weight, grow your hair, buy a hog and ask around at the local
Harley shop.

I am looking at two options; have the existing chrome removed (something I
presume is needed to rechrome) and allow the bronze to take on that nice
green patina or going to the original bronze look (which some on the page
say lasts only about seven years before starting to fade).  I am
anticipating the latter may be very expensive and most of the stuff I want
to add to the deck is most functional in stainless; so, a third option is to
chrome only the stuff I can't replace with stainless at a reasonable cost
(like that bow plate).  That way I won't have clashing finishes and textures
all over the deck.

About the least expensive place for stainless I have found is Bosun Supplies
(http://bosunsupplies.com/), they do only stainless and their prices seem
quite reasonable; so, I will compare rechroming cleats, chalks, latches, etc
with replacing them in stainless.  I will let you know the results plus, I
am sure others have more pricing data which will be of great interest to me
as well.

Roger

Roger L. Kingsland, AIA
Managing Partner
Kingsland Scott Bauer Associates (KSBA)
N40° 27' 49"  W79° 57' 59"
3441 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
www.ksba.com

1(412) 252-1500 X101 - Office & Voice Mail
1(412) 779-5101 - Mobile (no voice mail)
1(412) 252-1510 - Fax