[Alberg30] More on Water Depth

Melissa Currier mcurrier at spinrx.com
Tue Nov 18 11:14:30 PST 2003

As usual Roger you have not failed to entertain, amuse and enlighten!

However, you have not listed the THIRD way of negotiating the Narrows and
other "channels" throughout the Chesa-bumb Bay.

This summer my husband and I were out giving a guided tour of the South
River to his aunt and uncle on their visiting Valiant 40.  They draw more
than 6 so it wasn't too long a tour.  And the tide was ebbing...  On our
way back into Hillsmere (Kitty Duvall Creek) where they were borrowing a
mooring from us, we ran aground IN the channel.

Sidebar:  The oyster hugger coop of disagreeable and useless
environmentalists decided last December to "seed the shoal" off Hillsmere
with a spoils barge-full of shell and spat last January.  I am all for
repopulating the Bay with necessary wildlife, but some logic should
apply... I sat on the dune in HORROR in the cold watching as the majority
of the VERY expensive seed and shell was blasted via firehoses into the
CHANNEL.  It seems that the wind and tide were not as the barge operator
had expected and so he had to "blow his load" (as the DNR put so lightly
put it) where he could before he was aground himself.  ARGH!

So, anyway, WE ran aground IN the channel with a horrible shell-munching
CRUNCH.  And we had to -- yes, I'm getting to my point -- enlist the help
of a passing motor boat to make several passes to create enough wake to
lift us intermitantly as we redredged the channel at full throttle making
the most hideous nails-on-a-chalkboard noise...

As much as I have learned to despise motor boats, it seems they do have a
role play in the big picture.  As for the oyster people... They need to
visit Wellfleet, MA and learn from the professionals (3 generation+
locals)
how to grow oysters...

> Albergers;
>

> Earlier Mike  Meinhold wrote;
>

> "...Getting up to Deale harbor we hit bottom in the channel, but got
> through. At the mouth of the
> harbor we got stuck hard, in the channel. A powerboat pulled us off, and
> we poked in the rest of the way.
>
> We made several approaches to the alley the slip was in and kept running
> out of water.  We finally found a deeper channel, and were cruising
> along at 3 knots when we abruptly hit something hard and passed over it
> - I think it was a
> piling on the bottom. I will be interested in seeing the keel!
>
> Did anyone else go sailing on the Chesapeake this weekend and do some
> sounding?"
>

> Mikes discussion on water depth is one of several on The Page this fall.
> Since it is seems to be (approximately so) a topic of such great
> interest, I could not help but weigh in on the subject.  Pease forgive
> the lack of any real content.
>

> RLK Missives on Water Depth
>
> I can swim, but definitely prefer to reside on the water rather than in
> it. I am especially not sure I want to be part of the real shallow stuff
> where you can touch bottom.  To me, 18" of water is definitely yucky and
> a perhaps little bit scary.  Mud, mosquitoes, geese, jelly fish, even
> sharks all seem to like shallow water.  Besides, if the tide is out, it
> smells too.
>

> I once jumped off the boat into shallow water and sank so deep into the
> mud that it sucked off my brand new Topsiders.  Ever since then I have
> worn double lace army boots while on board boats and nobody invites me
> back.
>

> Have you ever seen a horseshoe crab?  Those things must have somehow
> been able to freeze the evolutionary process.  If not, can you imagine
> how ugly and scary they were twenty million years ago?  Just knowing
> they are down there makes me want to take up gardening.
>

> When I chartered boats on the Bay I used to be obsessed with the depth
> gauge.  Unless they sat close to it, I never even got to check out the
> deck ornaments in their bikinis.  Someone's cell phone would ring and I
> would dive for the gauge thinking it was the depth alarm.  And, I still
> managed to run aground on a regular basis.  These experiences, however,
> have taught me some valuable lessons, I think.
>

> For example, do you know that there are two types of shallow water in
> Tilgman Narrows, each requiring a totally different navigation strategy?
> The first is those little bumps on bottom of the channel.  Strategy:
> throttle up and flatten the suckers with your keel.  Talk about a
> confidence builder.  While the entire crew stares at their skipper with
> profound expressions of concern, you, the Master of their Universe, put
> the peddle to the metal and confidently plough through.  Thoughts of a
> new names for your vessel bubble up; "Furrow" or "Caterpillar" or
> [...]

Melissa Thompson Currier
Tel: 410-990-9855
Cell: 443-871-4602

I don't know about you, but my most insightful and profound thinking is
done under the influence of chocolate. My exclusive source for the "good
stuff"?  http://www.anstinescandy.com