[Alberg30] Interior Wood

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 20 10:29:37 PST 2003

Most apparently solid woods used in boat finishing have been routed out from
behind with only bridges left for support, - to reduce weight and warping. Most
Albergs were built with "Ameriteak", which I believe is Honduran mahogany. Just
avoid putting so much weight aboard that the waterline is raised to a point
where any topside paints might be wet all the time. It will lift Awlgrip very
quickly. It will also make the boat sluggish and slow. If you use oak, make sure
it is white oak, not bleached red oak. The grain is very different and so is the
durability. Maple is not a wood that is usually used on boats. If you want a
white wood, then Ash seems to work better, although any white wood will darken
with age, sunlight and finish. With any wood, the finish is the key for reducing
mildew and resisting water.
    The advice given earlier on this list that one should sail the boat before
making many changes might also be apt in your case. Go for a week or two sail
and see what you really need, especially if you are sailing at a 30 degree heel.
Clutter impedes headroom, headroom being one of the joys of Albergs.
Don