[Alberg30] overheating

schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com
Fri Nov 21 05:15:27 PST 2003

A 5 PSI drop in oil pressure is normal when an engine comes up to
temp.-say, 40 to 35 PSI.. A method I use to test coolant temperature is to
stick my hand in the overboard discharge. Come to think of it, raising the
thru hull would make that easier....You don't say if your engine is fresh
or salt water cooled, but doing that , and with a temp gauge, can give a
lot if info- like if it's cool and the engine is hot, you've got exchanger
problems. Hard to see how exhaust back pressure could overheat the engine.
Even if the quarter wave was even with the deck, PSI would be less that 5
lbs. Way less.

Michael