[Alberg30] Genoa Travler

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 25 19:27:05 PST 2003

And here I thought you, of all people, would know that the proper definition of
a dock is the water in which a boat lies when moored to a wharf or pier. As far
as I can ascertain, there is no proper nautical term to use for the floating
rafts we colloquially call "docks" but in fact they may be floating finger
mooring platforms or whatever. They do have finger docks at them because there
are places of water where boats are moored. Bowditch did not have a name for
what he did not know. Bob Townsend has also been stumped on what to call these,
but he is sure they are not docks.
(Bob's Naurtical Dictionary available from Odyssey Publishing, 3320
  Rednersville Rd., R.R.I, Carrying Place, On. KOK ILO.)