[Alberg30] Companionway Cover

Alan Slater alanslater at telus.net
Tue Nov 25 23:21:03 PST 2003

Ralph,
When I restored my companionway cover I stripped it down to the bare wood and disassembled all the parts to start from scratch. The frame was made of teak and the cover was a 1/2" mahogany core plywood with a teak veneer. The cover had deterioated so much that I'm not sure if it looked like teak planks or not. This plywood cover fit into a groove  on the fore and aft frame members and screwed under a rabbet on the side pieces.
I replaced the plywood with a teak veneer plywood (no strips or plank look, just solid), and I was able to find a sheet with a very attractive grain pattern. The problem I had was creating a camber in the plywood and maintaining it  to assemble the pieces. My first attempt was with a piece of 1/2" plywood. It snapped when I clamped it to a bending jig. My second attempt worked. I laminated two pieces of 1/4" plywood with cold cure epoxy glue, and let these set over the bending jig. The two pieces of 1/4" being more flexible than the 1/2". I made the piece slightly larger width and length in order to trim to fit the teak frame.
I assembled it all together using "Sikaflex-291 LOT" marine adhesive/sealant and bedding compound (black). 3M makes a "FastCure 4200" which would do the same thing. I screwed and doweled in the original locations and finished it with "Epifanes" wood finish.
Not being a carpenter, I was really happy with the way it turned out.

Alan Slater
#358 "Romp"