[Alberg30] Transom ladder length?

Alfredo alberg30sail497 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 10:19:04 PST 2003

Randy, with all due respect, I don’t think 1.5’ below waterline would
be sufficient for most people to climb aboard. And the transom might
not be the best place for a ladder since there is nothing to help
support it due to the overhang. You might want to consider somewhere
closer to amidships. I recall a thread sometime ago of somebody’s
amidships boarding ladder that folded neatly into the
toe-rail/Stanchion area, the longer the better this I would consider.
As for MOB, if you’re sailing and are not hooked on to a tether, a
ladder’s location is irrelevant. A 300 feet line with knots every other
foot would be more useful, "if" you grab it on time!

Best of luck,
Alfredo

--- Randy Katz <randyk at bertschi.org> wrote:
> Greetings, Folks,
>        I have a question about transom ladders, one of which I am
> shopping
> for now.  I've checked out the West Marine G-4 (4 steps) and another
> telescoping thing from Pacific Marine Exchange  (in Bellingham, WA.--
> must-see store for any cheep boater).  They both reach about a foot,
> maybe
> 1.5 feet into the water.
>     WHAT I'M WONDERING IS whether or not that's really far enough
> down into
> the sea for people to climb out on easily.  I'm guessing that 2 feet
> under
> the surface would really be much better.
>     Any thoughts on this?  I'm thinking of it primarily as an
> emergency aid
> for falling overboard, which had damn well better not happen in the
> first
> place, but which cannot be denied as a possibility (if not wearing
> the
> tether).
>     Other West Marine ladders with longer extensions (5-step and 5
> step)
> hang down below the surface when folded up, which I fear may
> negatively
> affect my already modest cruising speed.  (It's about 28" from the
> stern
> deck to brine.)
>
>     Would anyone care to suggest another brand or another solution?
>
>     Many thanks!
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Randy Katz
> Seattle

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now