[Alberg30] Tensioning Dual Stays

Voyager Toronto voyagertoronto at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 1 12:54:45 PDT 2003

Brian, Elaine: Will send picture when I can get one. Suffice it to say the
stays are attached within a few inches of each other at both bow and
masthead. I'm guessing the previous owner installed roller furling and
thought it desirable to leave the original forestay on. But he's not
available to say how they were tuned. The sail inventory includes both
furling and hank-on sails. I was using a Loos gauge to tune the stays per
the suggestions (I think from you two) in the archives, when I was
confronted by this problem.
Roger: no such fancy notions as that; this is my first boat and I have no
sailing experience. I've spent the last year rebuilding from the separate
pieces the vendor handed me and having launched only a month ago I just want
to get the rigging tuned enough so I can get some sailing in the rest of the
season. i.e. learn (somewhat) to sail. Maybe for now I can simply disable
the "original" forestay and use the furler.
George, Mike, et al: thanks for the info. Is there a problem with disabling
the forestay and using only the furler, or alternatively having the forestay
take most of the tension, with the furler just stiff enough to keep from
sagging?

As an aside, thanks to the list for the great help in getting me launched
and afloat and for indulging my many novice queries. This boat has been to
Australia and New Zealand. I, on they other hand, am a middle-aged novice
who's only been out a few times on other people's boats.  I hope I can make
myself worthy of her.
Calvin
Voyager #30