[Alberg30] drastic modifications

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 2 07:16:55 PDT 2003

Hi Roger;
    Here is a small story about major modifications the was expensive.
As chief cheque writer, you might appreciate it

In Ontario we have a neat small boat called the Shark, designed and
built by Hinterholler in St. Catharines.  About 7000 were made. There is
a very active racing fleet which now extends around the world,  because
of the number of hulls made. Also because of the size of the fleet,
there is a very competative group within the fleet. However it is a
one-design fleet with strict rules so that all 7000 can race equally
within the fleet.
    One chap went and bought 2 hulls, one to race and one to tune the
race boat against. He realised that he could make the race boat go
faster if it were lighter, so in his race boat he gutted the inside,
took out all the original bulkheads, accessories etc and made a
fiberglass reinforcing liner. Cost wasa reported to be $35000 to redo
the hull. Cost of new hardware, 2 hulls and new sails for 2 - 24 foot
boats $35000. This is what I would call fairly serious money for the fun
of racing in an amateur fleet in which some $2500 hulls with good
hardware and sails consistantly win regattas.   Then he took the race
boat to be measured so that it was legal to race. The measurement
committee ruled it was not a Shark and the only way to recify the
situation was to replace the interior as it was when he started. So he
ripped out the liner, and had to redo the inside from manufactuer's
drawings to make it a Shark. Cost was reported to be $35000. for the
refit. Moral.  Why did he buy a Shark and change it if he wanted to race
a Shark? One will never know , except it cost him $70,000 to find out.
(I don't think it matters what currency one is dealing with, $70,000 is
a fair chunk of coin to put into a used  24 foot hull.)
    As Mike says, Why did you buy an Alberg?
Don