[Alberg30] backstay adjusters

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 8 06:20:37 PDT 2003

The reason the backstay adjusters are expensive is because of the loads they
carry. The moment for the force is the distance from the base of the mast to the
point of adjustment , - the back stay chainplate, which is over 19 feet. You will
not have a smaller bill if you use blocks to do the job because of the load
bearing you will need on them. Most of the examples in the Harken catalogue are
at 12 : 1. Thus, if a person can pull a maximum of 75 pounds, then the pull on
the stay is 900 lbs and the downward load on the mast ( or upward load on the bow
and stern) is over 17,500 pounds (900 x 19.5). There was an article in Sailing
World when the Aussie America's Cup boat split in two, and, as I recall, the load
on the mast was over 500,000 pounds. Whatever the pricefor an adjuster, it is far
cheaper than having a mast crash to the water and having to scramble to save it.
    Split backstays are not allowed for the one design aspect of racing, and I
suggest you consider at least a 1/2 " pin (  the same as is already on the
backstay) for any backstay adjuster. With blocks, you will need to have the main
system that will support a working load of 18, 000 pounds. That gets to be
expensive line too! There is no way to stop spending $ if you want a safe boat
and all the toys.
Don