[Alberg30] Boats available?

Bill & Mary Ann Mahony mabwjm at comcast.net
Sat Oct 11 06:39:18 PDT 2003

Chris,

    Bill and Mike are right on target.  We were in your shoes during
winter/spring '02, we finally found our boat from a family up in Michigan,
and had her shipped down here to the Chesapeake.

    Survey is key, and particularly for an older boat like the Alberg, it
will give you a roadmap of what you will want or more accurately, need to
do.  Depending on your resourcefulness, you can estimate the real "cost" of
your potential purchase.  Even though our boat surveyed very well (in other
words, she was sound and well maintained), she was almost all
original--meaning original gate-valve seacocks, thru-hulls, wiring, etc.
Our insurance company wanted all those areas upgraded/replaced right off, so
that was the beginning of the shopping list.

    In my case, the genes don't contain too much of the craftsman DNA, so we
have had a lot of the more serious work (ie, stuff that involves the boat
staying afloat ;-), done by the yard.  We've done most of the cosmetic work
ourselves--cabin painting, galley rehab, brightwork, etc.  Still all told,
we've easily doubled her purchase price.  We also had the yard guys do some
of the more complicated (to me anyway) quality of life/sailing work--new
head and holding tank installation, new sheet and halyard winches, boom
brake/vang, etc.

    Good hunting!

Bill & Mary Ann
#276 "Mary Ann"