[Alberg30] New Sail 2

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Mon Oct 13 14:16:20 PDT 2003

very helpful. I will think on this seriously.

>>> Sunstone at cogeco.ca 10/13/03 05:11PM >>>
Well there are a lot of variables in sail longevity. The worst culprit
being
sailing too light a sail in too heavy a wind, and UV damage.

One extreme is AC Boats with sails having a useful life of 25 hours
(and
they are exotic).

In the real world, my experience might be helpful - we bought new sails
from
Triton Sails in Mississauga, Ontario. A Main with a 2 ply leach full
roach
main and full battens in 1995 - that sail has held it's shape
remarkably
long and continues to be a good sail and I expect it will continue to
be for
quite a while longer.
The Genoa, new 1995 is starting to show some draft aft back - but
continues
to be a good sail and gives good pointing.

The late Joe Fernandez who built the sails, his son Ron has followed in
his
father's footsteps and continues the business, explained to me that
the
sails built which were original to Sunstone A-37 1970  were all built
lighter than they would be today as then no one was sure as to how
heavy to
go on cloth. They lasted until 1995 - I consider the new sails to be
quite
useful today - they are all Dacron offshore grade of top quality
Bainbridge
cloth.

There are simply no sails which won't lose their shape no matter what
they
are made from - and that is largely dependent on the user. Fold or roll
your
sails, minimize luffing, set your tensions correctly and don't overload
your
sails in too much wind. All easier said than done.

More exotic sails, laminates come with their own issues too -
delamination,
mildew in the laminates, chafe on Mylar, cyclic loading on Kevlar
leading to
catastrophic failure - and they all lose shape too before they kaput.
Exotics you can ruin right out of the bag with the wrong halyard
tension
(particularly Mylar).

I would recommend going with the best Dacron cloth you can afford and
with a
highly reputable sail maker in your area. All Dacron is not alike -
there is
a big difference in Dacron weaves - go for the good stuff and hang the
cost - it is marginal when compared to the labour costs in making a
sail. I
helped Joe loft my sails during production and gained a healthy respect
for
the skill and time and labour involved in sail making - as well a
healthy
respect for the man himself.

And on mains - get the full battens put on from day one - they help to
hold
the draft in position. And I love my full 2 ply leach (last 3 feet head
clew)15 oz - will never rip. Fast - we took line honours in 1995
against a
PHRF fleet of 50 boats, including x-95s, comfortina 42, C&C33's and 35s
-
all same start - we crossed first - yea, good sails - and still good.

Hope this is a help.

John -  Sunstone A-37 KC65 (Ex Windrose A-30 KC544)