[Alberg30] beware of scams

webmaster alberg30 at alberg30.org
Fri Oct 10 16:18:24 PDT 2003

I have received the following warning, and want to share it with others
offering their boats for sale on the Alberg 30 site:

You may have received this warning from others but I do not see any
notification on the site so I figured I would pass this information along.
I have placed my Alberg 30 for sale on the page, and it has work very well
although I have not sold the boat yet. I have had some fair offers but I have
my price and I am not that motivated to sale off boat.
Anyway, I was hit with the new Nigerian Fraud Scheme. At first I could not
figure out what the deal was until I read and article in the San Jose Mercury
News and then this article on the Web
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y03/m03/i03/s01

The scam is pretty simple they contacted me and offer to buy the boat then
sent a check for an amount greater than the asking price. They then ask that
me to pay them back the overage. In my case I was asking $15,000 and they
sent me a check for $18,000 and ask me to send them a check for $3,000.
Needless to say their check which I confirmed with my bank after several days
was fake and had I actual sent them a check for the $3,000 I would have lost
that money.

I am not sure why they targeted me or why they would target a person selling
a boat. My suspicion were raised from the start and continued to grow because
there was never any sales contract, not did they seem interested in having
the boat surveyed. They did not seem to even care to see or know where the
boat was actually located. Which at this time they still do not know anything
more than the boat is and Alberg 30 located in Maryland.

So I figured I would pass this along so you are aware that this activities is
going on. You should feel free to use this information in any way you see
fit.