[Alberg30] Tensioning Dual Stays

Voyager Toronto voyagertoronto at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 11 22:34:41 PDT 2003

Thanks for the responses to my original question. I've been off-list for the
last little while because I've been too busy--SAILING! Yes, I loosened the
forestay so it was just on-scale on the Loos, i.e. 250 lbs, tightened up
furler, and when it all looked good, went sailing. I've been out a few times
times now. The rig appears to hold up well, and the boat seems well
balanced. If she has a bit of momentum going, I can let the tiller go and
she'll keep her course for the longest while before eventually rounding up
into the wind. Last remaining concern: I was unable to measure the tension
in the furler stay with the Loos gauge; to do that it looks like I would
have had to remove a section of the revolving aluminium sheathing to expose
the stay, and I didn't want to fool around with that. So I went about the
marina shaking other people's furlers and set mine to the same feel by hand.
I hope that doesn't prove too unscientific. I wonder how many owners simply
judge their stay tension like that?

I didn't want to go looser than 250 lbs on the forestay tension as I don't
know how much I can trust the furling system not to break.

Thanks for all the advice.

Calvin, Voyager #30