[Alberg30] Fw: Paint Remover Problems (The Runs)

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Sep 9 05:49:35 PDT 2003

My apologies, I messed up on stalagmites vs. stalactites, the latter being correct.  I looked it up and the "mites" go up from the floor, the "tites" down from the ceiling.  I can't even blame this on spell check.  Corrected version of original email is below.

Roger

So I have this silver accent stripe on each side of the hull four or five inches down from the deck.  Wouldn't surprise me if some of the other A30s had them also.  The Paint is cracked so I decided to remove it as part of the preparation to repaint the boat.

Solution, I take some of this spray paint remover, spray liberal doses along the accent strip and, as they say in the Sopranos, "forget aboud it."  Days later I revisit the scene to discover not only did the paint remover remove no paint, it also ran down the sides of the hull and became one with the gel coat.  It won't wash off, It won't even sand off (I haven't tried grinding it off, yet).

Now I have a symphony of half model stalactites emanating from the accent stripe downward (I assume as a result of the influence of gravity).  Kind of like socks hanging on a tight clothes line or icicles on the gutters.

Any Suggestions as to how I might get this stuff off; please, please, please?

Bumpy
A30 #148
N40°  29.288'
W79°  54.228'

Author's Disclaimer; This email was produced exclusively by the sender and, in the interest of expediency, without the benefit of editing by others.  The sender, thank goodness, is a much better architect/sailor than speller/editor and, frankly, constantly laments an obvious flaw in "spell check," it does not know what the author is thinking.  Please accept the sender's sincere apologies for any "typos" that may appear in this document.  If present, they are certainly unintended and hopefully do not cloud the message, or spawn any unnecessary lawsuits.