[Alberg30] Engine compartment insulation ideas?

Brian Palmer Bpalmer at digitalarsenal.com
Tue Sep 9 14:16:24 PDT 2003

Hello All,

My wife Rebecca and I bought our Alberg not too long ago, and are in the
process of fixing up as much as we can before we put her in the water
for the first time this upcoming spring.  While the engine is out, I
wanted to see what I could do to insulate the engine compartment.  I
want to make it quieter, and also try to keep some of the heat from
getting to the icebox.  I have heard of a material called Dynamat Xtreme
that is used to deaden sound and reduce vibration. It's pretty expensive
(about $100 for 36' sq. is the best I've seen), and since it's so thin,
I don't think it would insulate heat very well (but I'm just guessing).

Does anyone have experience doing this?  Any suggestions on materials to
use? Maybe a combination of materials; Dynamat everywhere, and
fiberglass or foam insulation against the icebox?

-Brian Palmer