[Alberg30] Paint Prep Advice

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Mon Sep 22 04:04:49 PDT 2003

Albergers,

I am in the final stages (at least I hope I am) of paint prep for #148 and wonder if there is a material I can use as a "fairing compound" to fill in areas of undulations in the hull and deck. In some spots I have used the TLR ([Tool of Last Resort), my belt sander, and sanded past the gel coat)

To date I have used some epoxy (mostly to fill the counter sunk holes for the 186 SS, 3/16 pop rivets I added to the hull/deck joint) and a bunch of Marine Tex.  While strong, Marine Tex is hard to apply with a putty knife (I ended up filling scratches using a syringe and creating a ridge which can be sanded more easily than a feathered joint).

Ideally I would like to find a material the consistency of drywall mud that would stick to Marine Tex and gel coat and hold up under paint.  I have seen gel coat compound in my marina store but it looks like it is just for patching scratches.

Roger Kingsland
Chief Financial Officer (AKA, check writer)
Mahina Manu, A30 #148
N40°  29.288'
W79°  54.228'

Author's Disclaimer; This email was produced exclusively by the sender and, in the interest of expediency, without the benefit of editing by others.  The sender, thank goodness, is a much better architect/sailor than speller/editor and, frankly, constantly laments an obvious flaw in "spell check," it does not know what the author is thinking.  Please accept the sender's sincere apologies for any "typos" that may appear in this document.  If present, they are certainly unintended and hopefully do not cloud the message, or spawn any unnecessary lawsuits.