[Alberg30] diesel engine

schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com
Fri Sep 5 04:00:12 PDT 2003

>don't want a bigger prop.  Think I'll stick
>with e atomic 4.

If push comes to shove (pun sort of intended), you can stay with the same
size wheel, just don't let the engine overspeed. Also an increase in the
pitch of the wheel shoulden't affect drag while sailing-if anything, it
will reduce drag.

You can only increase the diameter of the wheel about 1 inch, anyway, and
still fit in the aperture. On my boat, the deadwood (the area of the keel
immediately ahead of the wheel) pretty effectively shields the two bladed
prop if it is stopped in the vertical position.

IMHO wheel size woulden't stop me from making a switch from gas to
diesel-esp. if the diesel was already available; and I like having the
boat optimized for sailing efficiency. I'd be more concerned about the
weight difference between the two engines and their placement in the hull.

Michael G.