[Alberg30] Lowering mast from deck

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Fri Sep 19 12:27:05 PDT 2003

James;

I had the same problem except I also had to move the boat (on trailer) to
another parking space close by.  I ended up building what looked like a
giant saw horse from which I suspended the mast.  After pulling the boat out
from underneath, it was easy to lower the mast using the main sheet.  Once
we lowered it, two people could carry it on their shoulders with some
difficulty.  I would be happy to send you digital photos if you forward your
email address to rkingsland101 at ksba.com.  It took about $50 of lumber and
bolts (which I later used for scaffolding) and two guys about 3 hours to
build.

If you can't move the boat, you might be able to build a wider saw horse
where you can raise the mast, and slide it beyond the side of the boat
before lowering.  An alternative could be to remove the stanchions on one
side and slide the mast down a 2X6s leaned diagonally against the side of
the boat at the widest point (w/ chafe gear on the part of the mast that
will touch the lumber).  Two or three folks could lower while two keep the
ends in alignment from the ground.  I would not try having your deck apes
manually hold the mast outboard from the deck to lower it.  It is awfully
heavy (especially w/ roller furling) and the spreaders make maneuvering the
mast more cumbersome.  On the trailer my deck is almost 10 feet above the
ground.

Roger Kingsland