[Alberg30] Request for Help - alcohol stove replacement

Neal Jackson NJackson at npr.org
Mon Sep 29 12:18:39 PDT 2003

My Origo works flawlessly.  You just have to be careful not to fill the
burner containers when there is an open flame around.  But that is not
usually a problem.  I can fill mine fully and they will burn for several
days (say three) worth of meals.  It lights best with one of those
pistol-grip grill lighters that puts a little flame at the end of a tube,
but you can also just drop a match in the hole (don't wait too long after
you open the lid!).

I know some of the Albergers like the small, portable, catering-style
counter-top stoves with the butane cylinders.  I have used those in other
contexts and they are OK, but I believe that the Origo is preferable on an
Alberg.  Where mine is placed (recessed into a galvanized steel pan on the
counter behind the sink) one can put a wooden cutting board over it.  Thus
when the stove is not in use, it preserves all of the counter space (we
normally use the Origo only for breakfast and dinner and need space for
other meals).  Also getting alcohol is much easier than getting butane
canisters.  I buy the stuff in gallon cans in the paint section of the
hardware store...none of this branded stove fuel.

For meat, chicken and fish when weather permits I also use a small charcoal
Magna grill over the stern, and between it and the Origo we do eat well!  As
we eat the Origo is usually heating some water for rinsing the washed dishes
and maybe for a face-wash before bed!

Neal Jackson
PEREGRINE
No. 486