[Alberg30] More Drastic Changes

R C Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Tue Sep 30 18:58:43 PDT 2003

Amy & David Swanson wrote:

>"...  We all need a retractable centerboard in lieu of encapsulated ballast.
>An hour with a chain saw ought to begin the project!!!"
>
>You guys are scaring me.  Especially since your water is so much deeper than
>mine.
>
>David Swanson
>Strayaway Child
>Alberg 30 #229

Well, it isn't all deeper.  Most of the Chesapeake is about 18 inches
deep.  Being an estuary about 200 miles long with several thousand miles
of coastline (if you add up the length of the banks of all the rivers
and large creeks) there is an awful lot of it where Albergs can't go.
That makes the perfect Chesapeake boat a flat bottomed shoal draft sloop
or yawl with a centerboard--like, strangely enough, a skipjack or one of
its bigger cousins.  I know where there are some recent tree falls that
are big enough to build a good sized boat.......thanks to Isabel.  But,
since I already have the Alberg,  I .........

Rob