[Alberg30] Boat Names - Chewan

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Sun Sep 14 05:09:17 PDT 2003

Yves;

Sorry to complicate things.  Frankly, I never anticipated the dark side of
my seemingly innocent request.

Not to worry though, I dusted off my Cree to English / English to Cree
dictionary (you know, one of those ones that you flip over depending on
weather you speak English or Cree) and you are (mostly) right.  "Chewan"
does mean "fast running water."

I should have just left it at that but curiosity got the better of me so I
was compelled to also check my UNABRIDGED English to OLD Cree Dictionary and
discovered "fast running water" is the abbreviated version of the full
translation which is, "(the sound of) FAST RUNNING WATER (makes me want to
turn the snow yellow)" (please refer to Author's disclaimer below).  Of
course truer words were never spoken and it just confirms how well connected
to nature the Cree are;  so, in my book, yours is a great boat name.

Thanks for joining the fray.

Roger Kingsland

PS - Does anybody have a Polynesian to English dictionary?  Preferably NOT
an unabridged version.

Author's Disclaimer - In the interest of bad humor, the author may have
taken certain liberties that could be interpreted as criticism of certain
boat names that the author understands may be held in high affection by the
owners of the so named boats.  Please understand any response appearing to
be critical is not so intended but rather the result of nothing more than
bad humor that the author regrets subjecting the kind reader to (in addition
to subjecting the reader to sentences ending in prepositions).  He hopes the
subjects of his questionable humor, both the owners and  the boats (hope you
don't mind personification), are not offended and sincerely and profusely
apologizes to those who are, even if ever so slightly.