[Public-list] John Manza, Deck Hardware

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Mon Apr 26 11:48:03 PDT 2004

An alternative to mounting the blocks on the deck is to use mast blocks.

I have six Schaefer mast base blocks attached three to each side of my mast
3-5 inches from the base.  They run the main and spin halyard, outhaul, two
reefing lines, and a spin pole topping lift.  These lines go through deck
organizers on either side of forward end of the main hatch and to dedicated
clutches in front of the cabintop winches.  The system works very well.
You can see these blocks at Schaefermarine.com under Halyard/Deck Hardware,
then Mast Base Blocks.  Mine are the smaller Half Moon Hinged blocks.  They
are attached to the mast using large alum. sheet metal fasteners.  The
blocks are slightly staggered vertically at the mast base and the hinges
allow for a fair lead to the deck organizers.  It's a very clean setup and
avoids drilling holes in the cabintop.  Drop me a note if you would like
additional information.
Richard Hazlegrove
Quest 433
Mathews, Va.