[Public-list] exhaust system

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Apr 27 07:28:16 PDT 2004

Albergers,

My insurance surveyor said I need to "Install a vented loop in the exhaust raw water injection hose.  Locate the vented loop as high as possible."  I have a Universal diesel with an insulated pipe running aft to the lower forward end of the Lazarette where it turns up and joins with the cooling water just below deck level; then, it goes through the big black cylinder (technical name; cylindercus darkus which I assume is a muffler) near the low point of the Lazarette and out.

I figure I can do a vent at the high point in the Lazarette but don't know why it is needed (something to do w/ backflow prevention?).  Also, is it necessary to have cylindercus darcus in the lazarette or can I move it to the engine compartment (and shorten the rigid insulated pipe)?  Is backflow prevention a function of the vertical dimension between the cylinder and the high point of the exhaust of the high point of the exhaust and the engine?

Thanks,

Roger

Roger Kingsland
Chief Financial Officer (AKA, check writer)
PERFECT intentions, A30 #148
N40°  29.288'
W79°  54.228'

Author's Disclaimer; This email was produced exclusively by the sender and, in the interest of expediency, without the benefit of editing by others.  The sender, thank goodness, is a much better architect/sailor than speller/editor and, frankly, constantly laments an obvious flaw in "spell check," it does not know what the author is thinking.  Please accept the sender's sincere apologies for any "typos" that may appear in this document.  If present, they are certainly unintended and hopefully do not cloud the message, or spawn any unnecessary lawsuits.