[Public-list] Another Kingsland Crazy Idea

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Wed Apr 28 06:46:03 PDT 2004

Albergers,

I hate those really low spots (forward and inboard) in the cockpit lockers because everything migrates there and they are just out of reach.  (Plus, my port locker drain hole somehow directs the water behind the engine mount and it ends up on the cabin sole; it only took a year to discover why that was happening.)  I thought of installing triangular false floors at the bottom of the lockers and am exploring a few options; 1) filling the area w/ packing peanuts and drowning them in epoxy (afraid, however, that the heat of the curing epoxy would melt the peanuts) and perhaps cause a weird chemical reaction), 2) same thing only use ping pong balls (afraid of same heat problem then realized both balls and nuts would float to the surface of the epoxy anyway),  3) install 1/4" plywood "false floor" and fill cavity with some of that expanding foam that comes in a can.

So the questions; 1) can anyone think of a "filler" material slightly less buoyant than epoxy that I can add as an aggregate to fill the cavities (of course, if it has to be heavier than epoxy, perhaps it isn't desirable to add that much weight) or, 2) what kind of foam in a can I should use to fill the cavity created by the false floor?

Roger Kingsland
Chief Financial Officer (AKA, check writer)
PERFECT intentions, A30 #148
N40°  29.288'
W79°  54.228'

Author's Disclaimer; This email was produced exclusively by the sender and, in the interest of expediency, without the benefit of editing by others.  The sender, thank goodness, is a much better architect/sailor than speller/editor and, frankly, constantly laments an obvious flaw in "spell check," it does not know what the author is thinking.  Please accept the sender's sincere apologies for any "typos" that may appear in this document.  If present, they are certainly unintended and hopefully do not cloud the message, or spawn any unnecessary lawsuits.