[Public-list] Saturated Hull, Bilge Damage

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Wed Apr 21 04:27:11 PDT 2004

Bill,
I believe you boat is a little early for a hull liner thus you would have
a configuration somewhat similar to my boat #57.

I somthing similar to what matthew did except I used a shop vac!
Much better results pulled water, sand, tools everything ... shirts out
from under the motor. Then I found a hole in the bottom of the bilge that
went down father & I sucked the sand out of there too. There was also I
believe a piece of wood but I cannot remember exactly as there were many
pieces of wood some for engine spacers some just debris.I sucked it all
out.

I wouldn't worry too much about the details of what you get there like the
fiberglass & the wood. Due to the makeup of that keel nothing is going too
far.

On another level I suspect that Matthew is also right about the water
numbers you are reading. Suck the bilge dry & give it a few days & I
believe your moisture levels may come down. I am just completing a gelcoat
blister job on my hull much like the photos you took of yours. I found
that most of the problems were surface area & did not find any deep
blisters or extensive saturation. However I am sensitive to your readings
& am waiting to know how the job goes. I have completed the barriercoat
after filling the blisters with epoxy & microballons. The fairing is
endless but I hope I am almost done. 2 bottom coats of anti-fowling and
I'm in the water.

The reality is I may have to redo sooner than expected. I am told 10 years
is the average life span of a barriercoat.

Good luck & keep us posted.

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57