[Public-list] Dauphin Island Regatta

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Apr 23 19:13:22 PDT 2004

I agree with Allen,

A good basic rule of thumb is to carry as much genny as you can and shorten
sail from aft - that means reef the main.  That way you will keep the
steering/balance; and on the down wind legs you can easily shake a reef to
boost power.  Similarly, depower what sail you do use: crank up the
halyards, stretch the outhaul, move the genoa sheet blocks a little aft -
these are all little things that help but you can power up again without
much disruption off the wind or if the air gets light.

The only other piece of advice I might offer is to get out on the course
early and try out your sailplan.  Remember that our boats tend to slow down
when they are heeled more than about 18-20 degrees but because of their
relative narrowness you can push them up to that.  Leeway also increases if
you press her over those angles.

Oh and I almost forgot - if you are certain the wind will keep up, invite
everybody you know to race that day and use them as ballast.  I'm not
kidding. Five average sized guys is nearly half a ton of meat and that makes
a big difference when they are sitting up on the windward rail.  Half a ton
of movable ballast will take several degrees of heel off in 25-30 kts of
wind - that means you can carry more sail which means more horsepower.

Gord
#426 Surprise