[Public-list] Re: Progress w/ #148

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Mon Apr 26 10:43:07 PDT 2004

Mike;  you wrote.  Roger - I've missed you, how's the boat coming?

Thanks for asking about my progress w/ #148.  Sorry not to reply sooner but
I was on the road all last week including the weekend at Ferry Point Marina
(Arnold, MD) helping a friend get his 41' ketch ready for launching.  For
some reason, I have developed expertise in fiberglass repair and he is a
good mechanic, so we are trading time.  I saw two A30s there, both in great
shape.  One was "Friendship" (white hull, red bottom) and one had no name
but had a blue hull and red bottom, the colors I plan for my boat.

I have taken just about everything off the boat; all deck hardware, engine,
fuel tank  head, sink & stove, frig, doors & trim, hatches, toe rail, you
name it. Soon, I might have to actually put something back on.

I have been fortunate to keep the boat at a friend's factory and have been
able to work on her most weekends during the winter.  I even have access to
a 10 ton bridge crane (I have this urge to lift the boat just for fun) and
some great machining equipment and have been
fabricating a new bow fitting and brackets to hold the toe rail (boy, is 316
stainless hard).

In terms of forward progress, hull and deck are less than 12 hours
(experience dictates I should at lease double that) from
being ready for paint which I plan to put off till some of the interior work
is complete.  All teak was refinished last summer and is ready to go back
on.  New Lexan window lights are done (cost $100).

Biggest accomplishment so far is filling in EVERY hole in the deck except
gear shift/throttle and electrical plug.  There were about 600 holes
including 11 that involved cutting fiberglass patches.  I cut out and filled
in the head cowl vent and plan to install 5 SS cowl vents I got for
Christmas; 1-4" at bow (on a Dorade box) and a 3" over the head, a 3" over
hanging locker and 2-3" in the lazarette connected to pipes ventilating
lockers and engine room.  I was in Florida last week and, in between
meetings, I bought the
moulds for the cowl vent bases (those not on Dorade boxes) which are kids
beach buckets I will turn upside down and cut to fit to deck.

I also used the rub rail as a damn to fill in the hull to deck joint with
epoxy so now the deck plane extends straight to the top of the rub rail.
This will allow me to elevate the toe rail on 3/8" SS brackets and get
continuous water drainage.  Sails and dodger have been repaired/restiched.
discovered the main is good but has some spots and I have a good inventory
of headsails but only one cut for the roller furler (story goes previous,
owner, after retirement, started his libation ritual mid afternoon
[before dropping the hook] and his spouse insisted on a roller furling so
the hank on sails have been in the bags since the middle 80s).

I water blasted below mainly to get loose paint off.  Now have tarp over her
w/ dehumidifier going full time.  Does anyone know how to distinguish water
base paint from oil base?

The to do list is getting smaller but sometimes I can't resist the
urge to try to do as much as possible before launching.  Here is a partial:
paint and reinstall engine, install water and fuel filters and fuel pump in
engine
compartment (if they fit); still thinking about a new, larger fuel tank
under cabin sole (I have  a design where all the openings would be in engine
compartment just aft of the removable companionway steps); remount the
engine gauges (don't quite know where yet); build a hinged mast step (I
would recoup the cost by not paying for a boat yards to do it a couple of
times and clearance below a couple of  bridges in Pittsburgh is
questionable); reinstall head about 4" higher (just a plank spanning to
bulkheads;) paint interior, deck and hull, replace plastic laminate counters
w/ stainless
steel; replace lifelines; add inner forestay; bring peace to the world.

The hope (springs eternal) is to get her in the water in Pittsburgh in early
fall to get the feel of maneuvering under power and do some limited sailing
then head for the Chesapeake next season.  I am great that I enjoy
working on her so much that it is not a burden.  So, the beat goes on.

Hope you have a great sailing season.

Roger

Roger Kingsland
Chief Financial Officer (AKA, check writer)
PERFECT intentions, A30 #148
N40°  29.288'
W79°  54.228'

Author's Disclaimer; This email was produced exclusively by the sender and,
in the interest of expediency, without the benefit of editing by others.
The sender, thank goodness, is a much better architect/sailor than
speller/editor and, frankly, constantly laments an obvious flaw in "spell
check," it does not know what the author is thinking.  Please accept the
sender's sincere apologies for any "typos" that may appear in this document.
If present, they are certainly unintended and hopefully do not cloud the
message, or spawn any unnecessary lawsuits.