[Public-list] Rudder Post Leak

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Mon Aug 9 14:28:30 PDT 2004

I also had this problem several years ago.  It would appear that this leak
can be caused by attempting to adjust the gland nut using a single wrench.

(It's pretty tough to get two wrenches and two arms into that small
space).  If the nut is frozen then it's possible to twist the stern tube
where it enters the hull thus allowing water between the two parts.
Interestingly,  on #433, this opening was slightly above the waterline so
that unless there was extra weight in the cockpit, or a small wake passed,
 it did not constantly leak yet the area always stayed wet.

I was able to gain access through the port locker via the bulkhead cutout
that has been discussed here before.  Using a dremmel tool and sand paper
I cleaned up 3/4" or so of the bronze tube that was exposed between the
hull and where the threads began.   I then laid out several strips of
wetted glass cloth approx. 3/4" x 10" and carefully wrapped these
beginning just below the threads of the tube and continued down the tube
and around the built up fiberglass where the tube exits the hull.  This
has been in place for five years and is still holding.  By the way, I did
this with the boat out of the water but if your leak is like mine, it
might be possible to do it in very calm water using a quick kick resin
(and perhaps a few large friends and a six-pack on the bow).