[Public-list] sailing

Bill Blevins billblevins at mac.com
Mon Aug 2 10:22:25 PDT 2004

I did my best at sanding the smooth areas of the deck without messing up
the molded non-skid edges and then used a light wire brush and a power
washer to clean the non-skid as best as I could.

I then primed everything on deck twice with the white Interlux one-part
paint primer (in the yellow can) then painted the whole deck with white
Interlux Brightsides. I painted only the smooth parts a second time with
the white Brightsides.

Then I taped off all of that white area and rolled on Interlux (Kingston
Grey) Brightsides with a quart-can of their non-skid material (Interdeck
I believe - in a green can) added to a quart of the paint and thinned
15% with their 216 thinner. I painted two coats over the non-skid.

I used a roller on the non-skid and primer and I used a brush on the
final coat of white. I thinned the white about 10% with 216 and another
10% with 333. (I sprayed white AwlGrip on my old chome cowlings.)

It could probably use a third coat of grey over the non-skid but I can't
wait. The paint and non-skid wasn't so thick that it hid the original
pattern on the deck. I like the results. (Man that is a complicated
pattern on the original non-skid but it sure makes it look nice once the
tape is removed!)

My only suggestion would be to wait more than 24 hrs between coats of
the paint that has the non-skid in it. I waited 24 hours and I still
found places that weren't totally dried, even though it was hot and
didn't rain. The next day I had a few "tool marks" because I don't think
it was totally cured yet.

Bill Blevins
"Sabrina" #158