[Public-list] sailing

Bill Blevins billblevins at mac.com
Mon Aug 2 11:23:26 PDT 2004

It did not fill in the pattern that was already on the deck. I like that
"look". I haven't tried it when wet but it will definitely be an
improvement over just the patterned deck for traction and I think I will
be happy with it. Not too smooth or rough. My patterned deck was really
crazed and had some chunks missing. I filled those places in with
Formula 27 and covered all of that with my new non-skid.

The one problem I had was the mixing instructions said 4-6 oz per quart,
but the grit can was only labeled as a quart. I had no way to measure
what 4 oz actually was. I mixed about a quarter of the quart (half-pint)
with a quart of paint and then thinned it and it seemed about right over
the whole deck. (The back starboard quarter of my boat was apparently
knocked off at some point and so the original non-skid pattern has been
removed from the cockpit aft. I got to be creative with my own pattern
back there.)

Having said all of that...Practical Sailor in June rated off-the-shelf
non-skid grits and paints. I will have to go pull out that issue and see
where the Interlux product ranked. I can't remember exactly but I think
it was near the top. One thing I noticed with the Interlux product was
how small the grains were. Smaller than table salt cubes. Very small.

One of my friends just painted his non-skid smooth deck with a two-part
epoxy paint then poured sand from a hobby store used in model
railroading over the wet paint and let it dry. Then they swept and
vacuumed off the extra and coated with a second coat of paint. Now their
deck is very rough and would probably be great for wet traction, but
hard on the back of the legs when hiking or on the knees. Their formula
came from a several year-old "This Old Boat" article.

Bill Blevins
"Sabrina" #158