[Public-list] sailing-maui

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 15:24:51 PDT 2004

J Bergquist <j at ship.saic.com> wrote:Speaking of gloating among friends...

Unfortunately, I can't share many anecdotes of Alberg sailing this
summer as so much of my time has been spent away from home.

However, I am pleased to report a totally killer day of beach cat
sailing off south Maui yesterday. We had trade winds of 15+ knots (well
over 20 in the puffs), clear, deep, blue, warm water, like sailing on a
continuous sapphire, and big ocean swell to come screaming down the
backside of waves just to stuff the bows into the next one all the way
up to the mast step. Everybody was sitting all the way back on the
trampoline the whole time just to keep from pitchpoling. What a ride!

And Maui is about the best place in the whole wide world for
windsurfing...a statement to which I can gleefully add my affirmation.

So that's my August sailing anecdote. I must admit, having watched the
full moon rise out here, there was a twinge of jealousy when I read
Roberta's e-mail about the moonlight cruise. I hope to be out for that
in August and again in September (for Oxford!!!)

Meantime, I miss all of the Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night
racing back home, not to mention all the boat chores which will be
awaiting my attention as soon as I return, and the moonlight cruises I'm
missing out on. You can have a great deal, but you just can't have
everything!

Oh and the jealousy...I was over it pretty quickly!

Aloha,

J Bergquist
Calliope #287