[Public-list] Propane Locker

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Mon Aug 16 09:41:00 PDT 2004

David,

I was wondering if the shape of the air vents on either side of the
lazarette might actually promote suction that would ventilate (suck) even if
the vent is under water.  I am reminded of the "L" shaped protrusions (about
3'' long parallel to the fuselage and sticking out about 1'1/2") on small
planes that I believe are used to measure air speed.  It would seem with a
small hole and water zooming  by (relative term) on all sides, the
efficiency could be better than those self bailing cockpit drains you see on
Sunfish.  Unfortunately, short of setting up some hit and miss experiments,
I don't know where to research this subject.  Any hints?

Roger

Roger L. Kingsland, AIA
Managing Partner
Kingsland Scott Bauer Associates (KSBA)
N40° 27' 49"  W79° 57' 59"
3441 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
www.ksba.com

1(412) 252-1500 X101 - Office & Voice Mail
1(412) 779-5101 - Mobile (no voice mail)
1(412) 252-1510 - Fax