[Public-list] Anchor Handling

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Aug 25 08:56:47 PDT 2004

Hi there -

Everybody likes to do this stuff his/her own way. For what it's worth here
is how we do it aboard Surprise...

Our #1 anchor is a 25 lb CQR that lives on the small anchor roller I bolted
to the bow plate to starboard of the forestay.  It lives there all the time
with a single hook and turn that holds it down securely.  That anchor is
always shackled to a 200' 5/16" BBB rode which feeds into the forepeak
through a nifty curved cast aluminium deck pipe in the centre line.  When
riding to this anchor we use a chain hook to grab the rode about at the
waterline, and via a nylon pendant is cleated to a bow cleat. This gives a
bit of a shock absorber and makes it easy to secure the chain without using
an expensive chain stopper.

Our # 2 anchor is a 13 lb Danforth which lives in the starboard cockpit
locker.  I could not see any way to keep sheets from catching on it... And
besides the foredeck is a nice place to read a book and I did not want to
use up the space with something so uncomfortable to lie on.  This anchor's
rode is 10' of 3/8" chain and 200' of 5/8" nylon.  It flakes into the
forepeak's port side via a rope deck pipe;  when sailing around just the
spliced end of the rope is visible.  The securely shackle the anchor to the
rode we keep a marlin spike on a lanyard in the port side lifeline jaw - it
fits perfectly and is always ready for use.  We keep a number of
electricians' tie wraps in the stbd winch pocket in the coaming to secure
the pin of the shackle.  When putting the anchor away we simply break the
wrap with the marline spike.

Our #3 anchor is a 25 lb admiralty pattern (like Pope Eye has tatooed on his
arm) that lives in the port cockpit locker.  It's rode is flaked into the
stern lazerette via a deck pipe on the port side (to keep the line away from
the engine blower).  This line is 120' of nylon.

This system works well for us...we always have one anchor ready for use,
nothing gets snagged while sailing and racing...and the clean deck is well
worth the minimal work required to carry the Danforth up and shackle it on
if we wish to use two anchors.  (or three)

We are furiously packing just now for a six day trip up Georgian Bay - can't
wait!!

Gordon #426 Surprise