[Public-list] Anchor Handling

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 09:06:39 PDT 2004

George -

You don't have a bow pulpit????

              Mike Lehman
><((((º>¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

----Original Message Follows----
From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org>
To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all <public-list at alberg30.org>
Subject: Re: [Public-list] Anchor Handling
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:59:36 -0400

I run my rode up the ventilator on the forward deck, as I believe many
boats do.  My intention is to install a covered deckplate like
http://www.sailnet.com/store/prodimage/large/abi1035br.jpg, but I
wouldn't want to use one that required unscrewing.

Since I don't have a bow pulpit, I typically keep the primary anchor
lashed to the foredeck when not racing.  It's a nuisance, but much
better than hanging on the bow pulpit.

The spare anchors (lunch hook and plow) are in the cockpit locker.  I
often find it easier to anchor by the stern, especially when
singlehanding.  I'll either pull out the smaller danforth or carry the
larger one back from the bow (around the shrouds).  After setting the
hook while going forward, I'll move the rode up to the bow.

  - George

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:31:56AM -0400, Meinhold, Michael J wrote:
 > My current anchor system is not quite satisfactory. I have one Danforth
in
 > chocks on the deck, and another lashed to the bow pulpit. This anchor
 > doesn't seem to interfere with the genoa at all, but there is some risk
of a
 > sheet getting caught on it. I trust my own lashings to hold it down, but
it
 > takes time to get them off and on. It also holds the anchor higher then
I'd