[Public-list] Cutlass bearing size (revisited)

Tom Sutherland sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Fri Dec 3 16:13:02 PST 2004

fellow Sailors,

To my chagrin I may have inadvertently given the incorrect cutlass
bearing size when Randy Witherspoon requested the information about a
Month ago. I had bought the bearing to install in # 412 but did not get
it installed while the boat was out and still had the bearing on my work
bench so I was quick to answer Randy's request. I have been informed by
Stephen that his alberg (# 114) calls for a 7/8 X 1 1/4 while I had
purchased a 7/8 X 1 3/8. Since my boat is back in the water I really
can't double check. I just wanted to caution everyone that while I was
sure that I had the correct bearing that I may have measured
incorrectly. I will find out soon enough when I actually remove my old
bearing.

There is always the chance that Whitby made a change between #114 and #
412 but I can't be sure until I get my boat back on the hard.

I hope I have not inconvenienced anyone.

Tom S
A30 # 412