[Public-list] Chainplate sealing

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Thu Dec 16 07:06:22 PST 2004

I think Mike Lehman stated it well,  sealing the chainplates is not among
the design problems on the A-30 that needs to be re-engineered.  I would
however recommend an inexpensive and attractive upgrade by using the
Schaffer chainplate covers.  I installed these on all the chainplates
about seven years ago and have been very pleased with the results.  They
give the deck a very finished look, and protect and contain the sealant
where it attaches to the chainplate.  They also have a slight rise where
the chainplate passes through.  This allows the sealant more surface area
to attach to the chainplate and also helps keep water from standing on the
sealant.  Mine held for five years before needing to be resealed.  The job
 took less than two hours and the cost of a tube of 3M 4200.  That puts it
pretty far down my list of A-30 "design problems".

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest  #433
Mobjack Bay, VA.