[Public-list] Chainplate covers?

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Wed Dec 15 14:11:34 PST 2004

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.  I understand all the flexibility stuff relative to building structural design where the connections are rigid but the remainder of the structure is flexible.  Without springs, shock absorbers or other gizmos that I haven't seen on stay connections, I would argue it is not possible to make a "flexible" connection with a point load such as a stay.  To me the flexibility issue is how the load is distributed through flexible materials "downstream" of the rigid point load connection.  That's where the flexibility of the diaphragms (hull, deck, bulkheads) comes into play.  I hope everyone agrees the factory connection must be rigid by the time it reaches the upper bulkhead bolt; otherwise the bolts would work causing eventual failure.  I am assuming (I hope, correctly) that my detail simply moves the point where everything is rigid up about 2".

With my detail, once the rigid connection to the bulkhead is achieved, there will be no load on the deck unless A), the bulkhead connection fails; or B), there is flex in the 90 degree bend at the top of the chain plate.  The latter is prevented through a simple structural calculation to confirm sufficient thickness (that I hope to cajole one of our structural consultants into doing).  Basically, if the chain plate can't slide up the bulkhead and the bulkhead does not move vertically, the portion against the bottom of the deck will not apply any upward force.

To me the issue is weather adding a 3" length of the deck to the rigid portion of the connection will cause cracking or will the remaining 30+ feet be able to take up the flex lost under the new deck plate.  If the former were the case, other areas with rigid plates (mast step, stanchion bases, bow bracket, mainsheet traveler) would have similar problems.

One other consideration is that the "free" portion of the plate (area between top bulkhead bolt and turnbuckle connection) on the factory detail  might function as some form of shock absorber necessary to absorb the slight (probably under 1,000 pounds) eccentric load caused by the inward angle of the stays which pulls the whole mess toward the mast.  If this is the case, extending the vertical tab welded to the deck plate a few inches will have the same effect.

Relative to Alberg/Whitby compromises (IE, design intent), I am sure economics of a production boat in competition with Pearson came into play.  I am willing to invest the time to make improvements to those compromises but have been careful not to change anything made an effort not to change the basic structural flexibility.  For reasons stated above, I don't think the detail is a "significant structural modification;" however, Mike Lehman's comment that he has never seen it done this way certainly argues for additional research.

Thanks everyone for the valued feedback.  Off I go to ponder further.

Roger Kingsland