[Public-list] My Rudder is Broke and Needs Fixin

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Dec 20 19:35:56 PST 2004

Very cool article.

On the A30, I think there are usually two posts, one above the aperture
and one below.  I haven't seen the one above, but from Ralph Bluntshli's
article I think it has a bend that brings it down parallel with the back
edge of the keel.  The one below generally seems to have two bolts (per
Ralph's article on hull #123) or pins (on Calypso, #543) that give it
the leverage to turn the rudder.  On Calypso, the lower post was solid
1" diameter naval brass, except at the lower end that had turned to a
copper sponge.

One place to find round bronze bar stock is ebay
<http://search.ebay.com/bronze_Manufacturing-Metalworking_W0QQcatrefZC12QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQsacategoryZ11804QQsosortpropertyZ1QQsotrtypeZ1QQsotrvalueZ1>
For example, here is some 1-1/2" diameter aluminum-bronze
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61604&item=3860955991&rd=1>.
  I don't know how desirable aluminum bronze is for marine use.  I think
silicon bronze is probably preferable, but the stuff that Whitby used in
Calypso wasn't properly bronze, I think.

Maybe some metallurgists will chime in with real information.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash