[Public-list] Removing the Rudder

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Dec 12 17:01:09 PST 2004

Chuck,

I don't think you'll ever be able to lift the rudder out of the shoe,
but the shoe is easily removeable.  There are generally 3 flat-head
machine bolts from the sides and one hex-head from astern.  See
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/ruddershoe/P2091603.jpg
for a photo of an undrilled shoe and
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/CreviceCorrosion/ for a
photo of the hardware.

You don't need to remove the rudder to check the shoe and pin, but if
you do want to remove the rudder, the usual tactic is to dig a big hole
so that the rudder can drop far enough.  You'll also need to remove the
gudgeons http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/Gudgeons/ before
you can drop the rudder down out of the hull.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash