[Public-list] re: Boom end crack

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Sun Jul 25 18:57:21 PDT 2004

> Subject:
> [Public-list] Boom end crack
> From:
> Bill Blevins <billblevins at mac.com>
> Date:
> Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:57:43 -0400
> To:
> public-list at alberg30.org
>

> Have any of you replaced the cast aluminum forward end of the boom? I
> have the old roller boom type and there is a 3/4" crack on part of it
> just forward of the worm gear on the top of the round section.
>
> I decided to go ahead and put it back on the boat (with some JB Weld in
> the crack) and then deal with it this winter, but was wondering if
> anyone else had replaced this piece. After taking it apart, it looks
> pretty easy to fabricate if I do away with the roller part altogether
> but I would be open to any suggestions.

My roller furling boom end casting developed a crack, and a machinist
friend of mine milled out the crack with a ball end mill, and then
welded it. It doesn't look perfect (the weld is raised up and rought
texture), but he says it's strong, and I've had no trouble since he
welded it 4-5 years ago.

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
dans at stmktg.com