[Public-list] Two questions

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Jul 14 11:26:17 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 01:17:16PM -0400, Phil Prosser wrote:
> You can run the engine and then disconnect the battery (at the battery).  If
> the engine fails then your alternator most likely needs rebuilt or replaced.

Most likely the alternator diodes will be destroyed if you remove the
battery load while running the engine.  I would recommend a simple
voltage check.  Measure the battery voltage while the engine is running.

If it's 12.8 volts or less, the alternator is doing no charging.  It's
a problem with the alternator, the voltage regulator, or the wiring.

If it's 13.6 volts or more, the alternator is fine.  It may be that your
electrical needs are more than a standard alternator with a standard
voltage regulator can supply.  Consider a "smart" regulator to charge
the batteries more efficiently.  Consider a larger alternator if you
need more power than that.  Be aware that a need for more power requires
upgrading lots of things.

If it's between 12.8 and 13.6 volts, something's weak.  I'd check the
continuity of all the electrical connections for a start.

The belt is probably the least likely source of problems, but if it's
slipping, then tighten it.  Note that the more power being drawn from
the alternator, the heavier the load it puts on the mechanical drive to
it.

 - George