[Public-list] Furler/forestay halyard wrapping

EddieDiver at aol.com EddieDiver at aol.com
Thu Jul 22 08:29:07 PDT 2004

You ask how the 6 inches of halyard wraps around the 6 inches of exposed
forestay. It was explained to me that because the 6 inches of halyard is close
to, and parallel to, the forestay any friction between the 2 parts of the
swivel  will cause the top of the swivel to partially turn with the bottom 1/2 of
the swivel. The friction can be caused by too much tension on the halyard  or
tack pennant.

Once the "fuzzy" part of the halyard rope touches the rough wire  spiral it
is caught and stops while the jib and bottom 1/2 continue to turn. The  tight
wrap of jib line unwinds the spiral of the wire.

I like your idea of the short section of pvc tubing above the foil along
with my diverter recommendation. So far, the answers to my question seem to
indicate that no one has had to replace a forestay.  ed