[Public-list] Furler/forestay halyard wrapping

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Thu Jul 22 09:03:18 PDT 2004

Ed,

2 suggestions:

1. Purchase 45 feet of 1/19 1/4" wire. Purchase 2 hayn or norseman or
Stalock compression fitings.  The hayn fittings are specifically CTS-07
and CTE-07. These fittings can be placed by you on the wire instead of
needing a rigger to fit them. Tie off the headstay with another halyard
to support the mast & disconnect the headstay from the stem. Climb the
mast with another availabe halyard. Fit the Hayn CTE-07 fitting which you
have placed on the end of the new wire to the mast where the old headstay
is. Come down the mast with the old head stay Measure cut & fit the other
Hayn fitting which is a stud. Then attach your turnbuckle & fit to stem.
Tighten, remove halyard & voila.

2. Once you have done # 1 Give up on the roller furler you are using.
I would suggest going to a hanked on jib & storing it in a deck jib bag
that allows you to leave the jub hanked on. I have seen quite a few boats
like this & it seems to work very well.

With all of the issues about the stay fraying I see no reason to use
technology that destroys your shrouds. My boat is 40 years old & has
original shrouds. There is no failure in the wire at all. THe head stay is
far too valauable to risk loosing it over poor technology.

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57