[Public-list] Chainplate knees and mast pad

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Jul 29 10:33:37 PDT 2004

Eliminating the knees seems an overreaction, to me.  Using plywood, even
marine grade, for an area where you plan to through-bolt to the outside
(particularly in a place that will, at time, be underwater), seems
risky, also.  It also sounds difficult, as there are bulkheads in the
way.

Typical chainplate knee jobs involve

 * Filling any space between the knee and the deck.  On some boats,
   Whitby didn't fit these very well.  Leverage against the deck adds
   a lot of strength.

 * Extending the length of the knees to provide a more secure attachment
   to the hull.  Some people remove the knees and replace them with new
   ones, but if the originals are in good shape, I like Towney's
   solution of adding additional knees below the originals and
   connecting them with straps.

  - George