[Public-list] toe rail

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Jul 20 11:10:13 PDT 2004

Hi Patty,

I just got some great Burmese teak from Steve at 401 253 3620.  I paid about $14 per board foot.   Be careful, I learned the hard way there is allot of junk out there.

If your boat is like #148, the screws you mentioned are probably 3/16" through bolts, 6" centers.  I found these to be extremely difficult to remove untill I cut the shafts with a grinder (w/ thin metal cutting wheel).   I ran the wheel horizontally through the side of the teak rail then thru the bolt shafts.  Once bolts were cut, toe rail lifted off easily and I simply taped the bolt down thru the deck.  If you do this, have a squirt bottle of water handy (and nose plugs), everything gets very hot!

I am not reusing my old toe rail and would be happy to give you some.  Of course, the holes from the grinder (about 3/16" x 3" every 6" on one side) will have to be patched or filled.  Patching could probably be done with a plunge router.  Let me know if you are interested; I can take some digitals photos of the stuff.

Roger

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy
PERFECT intentions, A30 #148
on the hard at N40° 33.945' W79° 51.260'

Author's Disclaimer; This email was produced exclusively by the sender and, in the interest of expediency, without the benefit of editing by others.  The sender, thank goodness, is a much better architect/sailor than speller/editor and, frankly, constantly laments an obvious flaw in "spell check," it does not know what the author is thinking.  Please accept the sender's sincere apologies for any "typos" that may appear in this document.  If present, they are certainly unintended and hopefully do not cloud the message, or spawn any unnecessary lawsuits.