[Public-list] NEED MORE HELP ON MY COOLING PROBLEM

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Jul 21 06:58:06 PDT 2004

I believe you said you have a graymarine.  I don't have experience with
that, but it's probably very similar in arrangement to the atomic 4.

On the atomic 4, the water should flow through the exhaust all the time,
no matter what the thermostat is doing to control the engine
temperature.  (On the older a4's, the thermostat recycles hot water back
through the engine when it's cold.  On the newer a4's, it uses a double
acting thermostat to shut down flow through the engine block and open
up a bypass flow directly to the exhaust manifold when it's cold.)

I think that you've still got something that's blocking the flow
intermittently.  When I had a summer of problems with my atomic 4, it
turned out to be rust flakes in the exhaust manifold that would
sometimes block the water outlet.  Many times I thought I'd fixed the
problem only to have it show up again the next time I ran the engine.
It just depended on where the rust flakes positioned themselves when the
water was flowing.

 - George