[Public-list] Chainplate knees and mast pad

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Fri Jul 30 10:33:45 PDT 2004

Peter,

It would seem if there is sufficient exocentric load at the mast step to
cause the deck to "dimple," there would be a risk that the mast would go out
"of column" when compression loads increase.  Has anyone observed the mast
bowing fore & aft during high winds.  I suppose, with the backstay
restraining the top, it would form a shallow "S" with lower part curved
forward.  Of course, I haven't heard of a rash of mast collapse on boats
with liners so, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy
PERFECT intentions, A30 #148
on the hard at N40° 33.945' W79° 51.260'

Author's Disclaimer; This email was produced exclusively by the sender and,
in the interest of expediency, without the benefit of editing by others.
The sender, thank goodness, is a much better architect/sailor than
speller/editor and, frankly, constantly laments an obvious flaw in "spell
check," it does not know what the author is thinking.  Please accept the
sender's sincere apologies for any "typos" that may appear in this document.
If present, they are certainly unintended and hopefully do not cloud the
message, or spawn any unnecessary lawsuits.